Monday, June 24, 2013

First Letter Home

June 6, 2013 - MTC day 2

Hello from the MTC!  I'm writing you a letter right now because it turns out my "P" day here in the MTC isn't until Wednesdays.  Sorry for misleading you!  Well, there is so much to write about already!!  The first day was pretty crazy.  They waste no time and start teaching you right away.  There are five Sisters in my District; Sister V., Sister L., Sister S., and Sister Cluff. who is my companion.  Sister Cluff can be very shy but she has already opened up so much and I think we make great companions.  I learn so much from her everyday!

Mom, you knew from our conversation on the phone that I was super nervous the day I entered the  MTC.  The Lord was really watching out for me and within the first 10 minutes here I saw Sis H., Sister Lagrosa, Elder C., and (I'll save the best for last), Sister Hancock!  We gave each other a big hug, she gave me her address and e-mail so we can keep in touch.  An Elder in my zone, Elder Jenkins, was in my EFY group at SVU!  Seeing all those familiar faces really calmed my nerves.

Host Sisters ready to whisk Lindsay away and into the MTC


On her way to the MTC with Grandma Robison and cousin Makenzie

A quick reunion with Glenwood roommates!  Go Cougars!





I have AWESOME teachers.  Brother Adjei, is from Jamaica and he has a very high pitched laugh, which we get to hear A LOT.  Brother Littlefield, is so much fun and soooo cute... oops, did I say that out loud?  Don't worry, I haven't had any "moments" with any more missionaries, accidental or otherwise.  My Branch President is, President Hatch, he is very nice and greatly emphasizes EXACT OBEDIENCE.  So if the mission schedule says to be up by 6:30 am, we are to be up by 6:29 am.  I think it's a great principle to follow!  The Branch President's wife is so sweet and gave us homework tonight to write a letter home.  She said that moms will be a nervous wreck until they finally get that first letter saying everything is okay.  So here's me saying everything is okay!

The MTC is HARD!   We have very long days and are expected to jump right in to being a missionary.  Any prayers would be greatly appreciated!  I hate to cut this letter short, but it's 10:27 pm and I've gotta be in bed by 10:29 pm!

I love you all soooo much and you'll her again from me soon!

Love, Sister Taylor


A note from mom:  We will refrain from publishing full names without the individuals permission to do so.

In the second paragraph Lindsay mentions Sister H., Sister L., and Elder C., who are all from Ashburn and have known one another for years.  Sister Hancock and Lindsay were roommates their freshman year at BYU.

For those of you not as familiar with the LDS (Latter-day Saint) culture and the many acronyms we frequently use:

MTC - Missionary Training Center
At the Church's Missionary Training Center (MTC) in Provo, Utah, young men and women as well as retired men and women from around the world come together to prepare to serve the Lord.  The purpose of the MTC is to provide an atmosphere of peace, love, trust, confidence, and respect in which missionaries can prepare for missionary service.

EFY - Especially for Youth
The objective of Especially For Youth (EFY) is to provide an uplifting, edifying, an learning experience for youth where they can strengthen their commitments to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

SVU - Southern Virginia University
Southern Virginia University (SVU) provides the finest undergraduate, liberal arts education in a wholesome Latter-day Saint environment.